Step 1: Disk Cleanup
To delete files using Disk Cleanup
1. Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search
box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk
2. In the Drives list, click the hard disk drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.
3. In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, select the check boxes for the
file types that you want to delete, and then click OK.
4. In the message that appears, click Delete files.
Step 2: Check the services are running
Windows 8 operating system
1.Go to Start-> Type Control Panel-> swipe in from the right, click Search, then type 'Control Panel'.
2. Search Control Panel box, type 'services'.
3. Click and open 'View local services'.
4. Start the "Windows Update" service.
Windows 7 operating system and other earlier windows operating system
1. Go to Start -> select Control Panel.
2. Open Administrative Tools.
3. On the tool bar select the icon for the viewing options list, and then click Large Icons.
4. Open Services.
5. Run the "Windows Update" service.
Then install the windows update
Go to Charms menu and click on Settings
Click on the “Change PC settings” option in the settings menu.
Select “Windows Update.” Then select the “Check for updates now”
Click on “Install” to install the windows update.
The Updates will download and install automatically.
Click on Restart now and wait for computer restarting.
Once the Windows updates starts installing, it might take a while to install update and then restart
Note:If the service for Windows Update is running, but the service still fails to check for updates, get help from the community.